THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT IELTS
About IELTS: Established in 1989, with a combined effort of British Council, Cambridge English Language Assessment and world renowned IDP: IELTS Australia, The International English Language Testing System or IELTS, in its acronym form, is an incredibly standardised system of evaluating English language proficiency for non-native English speakers. It has been ranked among the major English language tests conducted throughout the world every year for pursuing studies, working in, or immigrating to various countries.
The credit of its emergence goes to British Council and Cambridge English Language Assessment who launched this unique test in the year 1980 under the name ELTS i.e. English Language Testing System with a vision to give practical use to the world renowned English language. The purpose behind this proposal was the growth of language as a source of communication and the test format targeted towards using it for provisional intent.
Due to some difficulties in commencing the exam and carrying out the same, there arose a need to give a second thought to the pattern of the exam. As a result of various conclusions drawn by numerous meetings, the concerned authorities realized the importance of making the exam internationally recognized. Consequently, another great organization – International Development Program of Australian Universities and Colleges – came forward to join hands with the previous bodies and today, the combined association of these organizations is what conducts the test. Because of International recognition, the test was renamed as IELTS, familiar to everyone around the globe. As a result of this, the number of test givers from all over the world observed a sudden hike of 75% from 15% as compared to the last couple of years.
Procedure and Pattern of IELTS:
It is generally of two kinds, i.e. IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. The difference is based on the purpose of the individual behind moving to another country. If someone wants to go abroad for higher education or seek some registration in a different environment, then he or she will take the IELTS Academic Test. On the other hand, The IELTS General Training test is for the ones looking forward to gain some work experience , training and migration to countries like the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. In spite of differences in their format and purpose of conduction, both the tests focus on an individual’s ability to adapt and survive in the new workplace.
The tests, both Academic and General Training have certain characteristics in common.
Such characteristics include:
- With the coordination and cooperation of various members in different parts of the world like the USA, Canada , Australia, the test is conducted by Cambridge English Language Assessment.
- The test checks the English reading, writing, listening and speaking skills of an individual.
- The main component in both the tests is speaking module.
- In order to evaluate the candidate, band scores are used for every skill individually and on the basis of that, an overall band is given which ranges from 0 to 9. A band score of 9 is allotted to the expert user.
- The IELTS test has 4 parts and the test is completed in a span of 3 hours. Reading and Writing continues for about an hour, listening test is completed in 30 minutes and speaking test duration is nearly 15 minutes.
- It needs two sittings for completion of complete test because listening, reading and writing are done in one sitting whereas speaking requires another sitting which can be on same day or seven days before or after the exam.
- Listening and Speaking test remains the same for both Academic and General IELTS where as Reading and Writing differ in their patterns.
- The result is declared after 13 days of exam and is displayed online.
- There is a particular procedure for registration of exam which also goes online. Candidates apply for the exam online and fill the required exam fee. After applying, a book is sent to the candidate 7-10 days before the exam to have an idea about IELTS and the exam pattern.
After the declaration of the result, a TRF displaying category wise and over all bands of the candidate is sent to his or her address.
To know more about IELTS exam and to get the best IELTS Coaching in Chandigarh:
Join the Best IELTS Coaching in Chandigarh.